Before we begin!
- Trainer classes at Towpath are nearly sold out. I am teaching most Mondays beginning 12/2 through the winter (I know 12/2 is full). Call 381-2808 for details and to register.
- Yoga for Athletes begins Tuesday 12/3 at Towpath. 6:30pm right in the fitness studio. Learn the poses that directly benefit you as an athlete to help keep you injury free. 3 class series is $40. Call 381-2808 to register
- As our Valor Triathlon Project website is under development, please stop on by and LIKE our Facebook page right here!
- My amazing husband Curt and I began a little video tri-tips series. Join us for Fireside Tri Chat each week, we have our first installment right here, which covers base training, strength training and how I got my current black eye! Find that on our Valor Tri Facebook Page!
Whole30 has not only taught me about new foods (new to me)…. but it’s given me the motivation to teach myself how to cook. When I say I didn’t know how to cook, I meant it. My husband is a GREAT cooker, and I always just kind of ate the ready to go stuff. Pre made salads even.
I grew up Bulimic. My relationship with food has not always been good. Bulimics don’t binge on Brussels sprouts.
Over the past 2 months I have learned how to cook. I taught myself. I went to you tube to learn how to tenderize meat, cut avocados. I Googled what broil meant. What a julienne slicer was. When I say I didn’t know how to cook, I wasn’t kidding.
I also learned to embrace the fat. Previous to this I cooked with cooking spray, the little I did cook. Never…. EVER again. I now use ghee, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. I even use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer too (you might notice how suddenly younger I look).
Here are a few recipes that I either read off someone’s blog (apologies if I forgot where and neglected to credit you) or just plain made up! I have never made up a recipe before but I learned that if you have veggies, some meat and something to cook it in you can… create! These were from what I posted yesterday:
The best breakfast ever. I think I stole this from Sonja:
- Sweet potato
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 egg whites + 1 egg
- 1 kiwi
How to make: realize that you really can make this any way or amount you want to!
- I peel the sweet potato, melt some ghee and paint it on the potato. Then I pop it in the microwave (I am not a big microwave fan but I was time limited).
- While that is cooking I slice the kiwi and the avocado.
- Scramble the eggs.
I am also new to spices. I spiced it up with some oregano, garlic and pepper.
Ground turkey with Brussels sprouts
- Ground turkey
- Brussels sprouts
How to make: Again, you can see that you can be creative with your combo!
- Make mashed cauliflower: here is a good recipe. There are several great mashed and riced cauliflower recipes. Google them!
- Saute all of the vegetables in ghee, coconut oil, or EVOO.
- Brown the ground turkey. Spice it up!
See, this is so ridiculously easy that anyone can do it!
Roasted butternut squash and stuff!
- Butternut squash
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Tomatoes and any other veggie you’d like.
- Hard boiled eggs. I prefer to bake them.
How to make:
- Toss the veggies in EVOO and add some spices.
- Cook for 30 min at 400 degrees. At the same time you can bake the eggs. How many? How many do you want?
- Assemble on a bed of mashed cauliflower. I took the picture before I sliced and added the eggs on top.
Dare I say that I am having a lot of fun with food these days? I do dare to say it. I still can’t get over how wonderful I feel. The number on the scale appears to be getting smaller but I haven’t been on it in 2 weeks. That’s a side bonus anyway. I feel so good.
I didn’t know how to cook. I ate veggies but the same four. I didn’t know what broil meant. I didn’t know how to cut an avocado. I didn’t even know a yam and a sweet potato were generally interchangeable and that what you call it really depends on where you grew up!
Some say I was deprived…. I say I just wasn’t open. And I feel like new doors have been opened for me.
I am inspired by those of you who have jumped on board this bandwagon with me. It’s been so much fun sharing recipes, learning from you, connecting with people I wouldn’t have connected with. It’s so much fun.
I completed the Whole30 and began another one with the ultimate goal of Whole90. Then I thought…… I wonder if anyone would do a Whole30 beginning on December 1st with me? I don’t trust myself through the holidays and normally I come out of them feeling over-sugared and a mess. What if we, together treated December like the gift of health?
If you are interested, join us here on the Eating Cleaner page.